I see youngsters saying “I want to do something… But what should I do?” It is good to do something productive apart from your field of study & professional career, using the talents & skills you possess. Once you realize you have the will to do something on your own, you can actually do anything you want. All you need is a little motivation & determination. When you have the talent to do something, you can use it to do several different productive things. But you need to sit & talk to yourself, that what you are good at. You can have a talk with a friend who understands you & has the same interests as you. This will help you come up with several different ideas. You need to figure out what is manageable & best for you.
When it comes to achieving your goals & doing something, everything might sound tough & sometimes unrealistic. In our daily lives, we end up procrastinating due to work load, which makes it even harder to achieve our goals & we end up believing we cannot do it.
- You need to sit down & list a couple of things that you would love to do. How? Why? May be the skills you have learnt up till now in your life. Once you figure out that you could enjoy doing every day.
Sit down take some time. Think… Yes I am a good artist, photographer, singer, writer or think of skills like that. Once you have certain things that you can do.
- Ask yourself, what you can envision yourself doing everyday if money was no option. For me, I chose writing. I questioned myself; “Can I write on different topics every day, if money was no option?” Oh yes, absolutely. I love writing. I love to express my viewpoint. I love to spread positivity with my words around. So this is an important part. What you can actually see yourself doing every single day, all the time that personally makes you happy. It’s like figuring out what you are good at & then taking that thing along with you.
You learn little lessons & skills from things you do on day to day basis in life. And you never know those little things can turn out being your entire career.
- There are things that stops you from doing what you want to do. Whether it’s your home life or lack of finances or anything. There is always something between you & your goal but you can’t let it stop you from accomplishing your goals. Initially at younger age everyone has money problems.
You can actually sit down & think about things that are keeping you from your goals. You need to list down & understand the things that are stopping you from achieving your goal. This way it is easier to have a brighter side about all the barriers & you can’t let them stop you. Because there is always something bad & you need to find good from that & once you stay focused on something that you really enjoy, then good will come from it. Because once you do what your heart wants you to do, you will realize how easier it is to be happy. Also it won’t be work, it will be something you’ll enjoy doing.
- Things that you can change in your own personal life that will help you achieve your goals. For instance, what can you do yourself to achieve your goal? You don’t have to rely on other people, you don’t have to blame other people for anything. You have to know for yourself that what you can change, because change is good & obviously when you want to achieve something, a change is necessary. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results. You have to avoid insanity, bring change.
People talk about things, people talk about change over & over again. It’s easy to talk about things over & over again but it’s actually hard to actually change, bring a change & accept the change. When it actually comes to doing something besides saying it. There is never any action. That is bad. Because if you want to change you need to take an action for that.
- You need to set time for yourself that how long is it going to take to achieve your goal? If you don’t set a time you might not be able to do as good as you could. You keep putting it off & then nothing really happens. For setting a goal, time frame is really important. Think about the times when you talked about something you have already achieved now. You must have an estimated time frame in your mind that how long the things will take to work. It’s scary to bump into something all of a sudden without preparing yourself completely. You need time to set up things & make them work the way you want. It’s important to have a time frame because it will help you to prioritize things & stay organized & you need to remember that what you need to achieve the goal & what you need to stay away from.
It is going to be really hard in the beginning. It might take days, months or years. You might even feel that it is really going nowhere but as long as you don’t lose sight of what is important. You need to stay positive & be able to envision it for yourself.
Like 5 years from now you want to picture yourself, that what you want to do. Then you need not to lose sight of that & it will happen.
Don’t tell yourself that you will try to do it. But challenge yourself to do it. Tell yourself you can actually do it. If you are giving yourself the option to not succeed at it then you are already setting yourself for the failure. Tell yourself you can do it & you are really going to do it. Success & happiness can only come from that.
You decide to do something & after couple of weeks or months you are not happy with it. Guess what? You tried it. Now you can add something to the list of things you tried. And at this point you don’t have to be demotivated. You have to start it over again or maybe start with something new.
You need something to be happy about & to have something you can spend your time on. There is already a lot of nonsense in the world & you need to focus on what matters. It is important to be surrounded by people who are as motivated as you are. Because negative people put you down whereas positive & motivated people show you a clear picture of your own path. And if you don’t have such friends find people who share same interests as yours, motivate them & they will be your motivation. But remember one thing, in the end… You are your own motivation!